Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Ode to Phoenix Eateries, Part I

My friend Jennifer from Phoenix came to visit me in Paris this week! While walking through the winding streets of the Marais and dining in the Latin Quarter, we reminisced about our time together in Phoenix and some of our mutual favorite restaurants that I miss. So I decided to devote this blog to some of the ones that made leaving Phoenix a little difficult.

Pizzeria Bianco

I was sad to read the news that Chris Bianco's gracious presence will no longer be a constant at Pizzeria Bianco due to health issues. My husband read me the news one morning since we still have our browser set to open up to an AZ site.

Bianco has always held a celebrity status for me, long before he was on Oprah. I occasionally came home from trips to the downtown farmer's market or Lux cafe, anxious to tell Brock that I saw Chris Bianco! I loved observing Bianco in action at the pizzeria, where he prided himself on handling every single pie that went into his 800 degree stone oven. Between rearranging pizzas in the oven with his pizza peel, his eyes would dart around the room, probably to savor the delighted patrons' faces as they bit into the result of his art. This is the only evidence one will notice of his pride since the cozy little house on East Adams Street lacks the presentation of a single award Bianco and his pizzas have earned. There is no boasting whatsoever, even though he has surely earned the right to do so. His admirably humble character is as evident in his television appearances as it is every night when he makes sure to acknowledge and thank each customer.

On our first visit, we were seated at the bar as close as one can get to Bianco, so Brock and I, novice pizza makers, sought out his expertise and asked whether flour or corn meal makes a better pizza peel coating. He was kind enough to take time to explain why flour is actually better, despite that fact that he probably had 40 pizzas to construct. I've never used corn meal since. On one occasion, I was excited to bring my pizza-loving brother for dinner at Pizzeria Bianco, and tears rolled down my eyes in the back of the car the entire drive to another Phoenix pizzeria since my hungry brother and husband were unwilling to wait until 10:00 to eat (we had arrived at 4:00).
I have eaten pizza in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Rome and Napoli, the dish's supposed birthplace, but nothing has ever and undoubtedly will never, in my eyes, approach the exquisite taste of Bianco's Rosa, not to mention every other pizza and appetizer on the menu.

I like to say that I've been eating at Pizzeria Bianco since the wait was only two hours, as opposed to the now four to five. I always enjoyed sitting at the bar, awaiting my meal when an unknowing and eager group of people would come in, hoping for a bite to eat, only to drop their jaws and walk out in disbelief when told that yes, they can have a table... in five to six hours.

While my husband and I were weighing the pros and cons of moving to Paris, losing Pizzeria Bianco was high up on the cons list. When I head back to Phoenix at some point, PB will assuredly be my first stop.

Lola Tapas

We finally decided to head out of France for a few days and planned a trip to Barcelona. I am thrilled to revisit the Mediterranean and to feel the life on the streets, but I am looking forward most to the Spanish food. If a single meal we eat in Spain rivals what is served nightly at at Lola Tapas, I will be a happy girl.

I remember walking into Lola's the first time, after having driven by its Camelback location numerous times wondering about this exotic looking yellow building with the fancy sign. Upon entrance, I was surprised about the communal seating on only two long tables (they have since added seating). But I realized this arrangement was conducive to great conversation with strangers, occasionally being offered to try someone else's food if you're caught glancing at it with interest, and ultimately being more confident in ordering having such close proximity and even a possible taste of some of the options. However, I came to realize it doesn't matter what I order, I am always impressed with each item on the small, diverse, and well-planned menu. The obvious choice for me was certainly the Jamon, almonds, cheese, and date platter and it was only a matter of selecting a few plates to go with it. I still dream about this enticing combination of perfection. Along with the chewy bread soaked in spanish olive oil and washed down with fresh Sangria, Lola Tapas provides a taste of spanish heaven. The restaurant's ambiance always made me crave a lifetime in Spain, and after each immaculate meal I would walk out the door, grab a pack of matches, and begin planning my next trip to Spain. Finally I can say that trip is tomorrow.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Erin, you are such an excellent writer and I love reading your bog posts! You always paint such a beautiful picture and I can just imagine having the same experience that you are writing about. I am so glad that you are enjoying Paris...I hope to visit there someday after my kids are a bit older.

    ReplyDelete