Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Best Dressed Kids in the World

I contend that Parisian children are among the very best dressed in the world. Children's stores here display pricey but darling outfits that make me want to invest in wardrobes for my future children.

While wandering through the artsy district of Montmartre yesterday, I came upon a park full of children playing, not dressed in dirty overalls like I wore in the sandbox, but dressed far more stylishly than I ever even hope to.






Today I took a walk down my street past La Madeleine church in Paris, where Coco Chanel's funeral took place, and turned onto Rue Cambon to number 31, the original Chanel store where Coco lived and worked in the apartment above. I thought about the exposure to fashion these girls from the park have always had. Their mothers and grandmothers grew up surrounded by the influence and ingenuity of icons such as Chanel, who taught them to stray from conformity. I think the lingering history of Chanel and all of the designers who used Paris as their fashion playgrounds impacts every Parisian from the day they wear their first onesie. Now, on the playgrounds of Paris, children dress anything but conformingly. I think Coco would be proud.


“There are people who have money and people who are rich.”
-Coco Chanel




1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures! You should make a large, framed collage out of them, maybe in black and white. It will look lovely in my nursery! Or yours in the future, I mean. Whatever you think is best. :-)

    ReplyDelete