Monday, May 24, 2010

Bulgarian Education and Culture Day and Slavonic Literature Day

Bulgarians love to celebrate. In just the 6 weeks we've been here, there have been 3 major holidays: Labor Day, St. George's Day, and the Bulgarian Education and Culture Day/Slavonic Literature Day this past Monday which coincided with the final day of the Historical Seas Tall Ships Regatta. In this family-centered culture, holidays are taken seriously and are spent elaborately.

I had the fortune of spending St. George's Day with a Bulgarian family in their village home and I will try to explain that cultural experience in another post. Monday's holiday was spent very differently. My apartment is right off the main square and so while drinking my coffee on the patio Monday morning I heard some commotion coming from the square. It sounded like a marching band. I walked outside to find that an insanely large mob was making its way down the square towards the Sea Gardens and the beach. Inside the mob was a marching band that the people seemed to be following. Young girls were dressed in traditional Bulgarian dresses and women were holding bouquets of flowers. Apart from the band, there was nothing else indicating an official parade so I thought perhaps there would be something at the end of their march and I joined in to find out. They all dispersed at the Sea Gardens, some going to the beach, others lining up for ice cream and popcorn, many grouping up to take photos. I walked back towards my apartment and the mob was still coming; it seemed neverending. I sat on a bench to watch for awhile and finally went home, realizing there was really no central event going on.


A bit later, Brock and I walked back outside and as we got towards the sea and noticed that the mobs were either on the beaches or along the Sea Garden looking out. We realized that for the Regatta's final day, the 70 or so sail boats were all out on the sea cruising around for the people to see and to warm up before their race to Istanbul. It was an amazing sight, so many sail boats of all sizes sailing together.









The event supposedly drew a crowed of 200,000. We had visited the Regatta and checked out some of the sail boats from around the world while they were on display at the port. They were very impressive, reminding me of Pirates of the Caribbean. The highlight for me was the Indonesian vessel. On board were musicians and dancers performing some traditional numbers.





Saturday there was a parade that included representatives of each sail boat in the contest, so there were bands, dancers, and sailors from all over the world, making it one incredible parade. I suppose this is why I was a bit let down when Monday's parade-like event was nothing more than a marching band leading the entire town to the sea front.

If Monday's holiday was anything like St. George's Day, I expect that after the town saw the sailors off to Istanbul, they went home for a long day of eating and drinking... but more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment